On Saturday 20 August 2005 22:25, Roman v. Gemmeren wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > Hi Roman,
> >    No immediate need. I seem to have solved the problem, at least as a
> > starting point.
> >
> >    My bad for not trying the ~x86 version of the nvidia driver. Once
> > installed I now get into Gnome, get Direct Rendering and get about
> > 1600 FPS out of glxgears so I think things look at least OK.
> >
> >    What is a reasonable glxgears FPS for an AGP 4X GeForce4 card
> > running on an Athlon XP 1600+?
> >
> >    Anyway, I seem to be in good shape now. Thanks for writing back.
>
> Hi,
>
> i'm glad you solved your problem. I had a Geforce 5200 until i purchased
> a ATI Card 3 weeks ago.
> glxgears gave me ~1500fps without any special tweaking. (BUT PLS don't
> use  glxgears for benchmarking stuff, it gives very inconsistent results
> i on different systems). It's better to use sth like ut2004-demo.
>
> PS: My new ATI x800 (i know, little overkill, but after my exams...;))
> gives me also 1600fps in glxgears (there are some very strange problems
> with the drivers on amd64).;(
> But hey, gaming is, what windows was made for.

glxgears is more or less a cpu bench ;)

The fps are much more influenced by the CPU you are using than by the card -
except when direct rendering is missing...

But there is some little interresting point: with kwin or integrity (qt based)
glxgears is always a little bit faster, than with the gtk-wm (metacity,
sawfish) I tried.. don't know why.