emacs provides virtual/editor

The system profile is a set of programs that is necessary for your
computer to boot and build other programs. One of this things you need
to do to boot a computer is to edit the configuration files in /etc,
for that you need an editor. The system profile (you can see what it
brings in by "emerge --emptytree --pretend system") requires something
that satisfies virtual/editor, and by default I think gentoo uses
nano. If you have another editor, like nano, or vim, or pico, then you
should be fine to unmerge emacs.