On Saturday, January 07, 2012 at 16:15:47 UTC, carlos.su...@googlemail.com
confabulated:

> On 7 January 2012 10:08, Duane Hill <duih...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Saturday, January 07, 2012 at 15:45:44 UTC,
>> carlos.sura1@googlemail.comconfabulated:
>>
>> > Hello mates,
>>
>> > I have a problem, my provider does not want to set rDNS to my IP's since
>> > have 5 IP's rotating for my server, I don't know why. So he told me I can
>> > do this manually.
>>
>> > So I've added this as a master zone:
>> > $ttl 38400
>> > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA dominio.dominio.com. abuse.dominio.com.
>> > (notice that last digits are miss)
>> > 1325905990
>> > 10800
>> > 3600
>> > 604800
>> > 38400 )
>> > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN NS dominio.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns1.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns2.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
>> > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
>>

>> > But it does not reflect any change in any machine, just in the local
>> > machine I get the answer, when I try in any other machine, it still
>> showing
>> > me the rDNS of my provider.
>>
>> > Any help?
>>
>> The  setting  up  rDNS  on  the one server would only be for that local
>> server.   All   other  servers that are not using the one local server
>> for  DNS resolution would look to your provider. You would either have
>> to 1) get your provider to delegate rDNS to you, 2) duplicate the rDNS
>> setup   on  the  additional  servers, or 3) point DNS (resolv.conf) to
>> the one server that is working locally.
>>
>> Without   your   provider   delegating   rDNS to you, the "rest of the
>> world" would still be looking to your provider for rDNS, regardless.
>>
>> --
>> If at first you don't succeed...
>> ...so much for skydiving.
>>

> Hello Duane,

> Thank your for answer. I just have one question: What you mean that my
> provider has to delegate rDNS to me? I have the resolv.conf with my own
> nameservers.

> Locally it shows as I want, but not on the Internet. What would I need to
> ask to my provider?

> Thanks!

You  would  have  to find out if your provider would delegate rDNS for
the  IP  address range to you. You would have to provide them with the
name server IP addresses that would be serving rDNS. I can only assume
if  they  will not set up the rDNS for you, they may not delegate rDNS
either.

If you are trying to set up an email server and your provider will not
delegate  or  set  up the rDNS, just set up your email server to relay
outbound  messages  through  your  provider. That is exactly what I am
doing here and have been for 5+ years without any issues.

--
If at first you don't succeed...
...so much for skydiving.