On 09.01.2012 02:47, Dale wrote:

> Hi Dale,
>
> You can use your old "init thingy" if you don't need any modules
> inside it. The other stuff normally doesn't change. Since most
> setups use modules, you could experience troubles...
>
> The other way would be - as you already proposed - to create an
> "init thingy" per kernel, eg initramfs-3.2.0-r1. If you use grub2
> the grub2-mkconfig script searches for these (matching the name for
> your kernel image) and normally it works out of the box. FOr grub
> legacy (and lilo, i assume) you would need to make matching entries
> manually.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Hinnerk
>>

> I'm on the old Grub.  I keep saying I'm going to switch but . . . .
> . . . If you are using the new grub, how difficult is the switch?
> Scale from one to ten would be fine.  1 being pulling teeth and 10
> a walk in the park and your eyes were closed. o_O
>
> I always keep a older boot line available so I will test this but I
> may version them anyway, just to be safe.  At least I know there is
> a chance that it would work if the init thingy didn't build
> correctly.  I tend to skip versions of kernels too.  Sometimes I go
> several versions.  Plus, honestly, I'm not even 100% sure I am
> booting the init thingy.  I posted a thread about it but no
> replies.  I'm about 95% sure tho that is is booting the init do
> hicky.  Can you tell I'm not really liking the init thingy yet?
>
> Does the dracut init mount /usr if it is on a separate partition or
> do I have to set something to tell it too?  Right now it's not but
> I do plan to redo my set up.  I'm planning to put everything on LVM
> except / and its friends.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dale
>
> :-)  :-)

I would say it's between 8 and 9 - both versions are slotted, so you
can install both at the same time. If you have trouble, you can reboot
from a install cd/usb-drive and reinstall legacy grub. I never had any
trouble with grub2 and I am using it since about 2 years, I think (at
least no non-"handmade"-trouble ;) ).
So I think it's easy.

If you have a line for the init thingy in your grub.cfg it should use
that or throw an error. If you use dracut according to a fedora-page
you can add "rdshell rdinitdebug" to your kernel commandline and see
dracut debugmessages and being dropped to a shell. maybe you could try
that.

Since I don't use dracut I'm not sure if it would mount a seperate
usr. A quick google search seems to indicate that you have to do
something manually: according to the last answer dracut tries to mount
usr if init is a path in /usr - so you could create a symlink and add
"init=/usr/bin/init" to your kernel commandline [1] - or use systemd
(it should reside in usr, shouldn't it?).

[1] http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/18057/dracut-and-separate-usr