On Mon, Jan 09, 2012 at 10:50:28AM -0700, Joseph wrote

> I think you are correct on this one.  I'll try to modify your system.
> What is the easiest way to re-emerge all the fonts on the system or
> list the one that are installed?
>
> I've manually installed some of the fonts that I have on my other
> system and it partially solved the problem.

  I've attached a bash script to list all files, including those pulled
in as dependancies of xorg-server.  It also sets up another bash script
to do the actual emerge.  Here's how it works...

* It creates a bash script "ef" (emerge fonts)

* First put in the "#!/bin/bash"

* Add "emerge -1 " to the file.  *NOTE* The "-n" option prevents the
  normal linefeed

* "emerge -pv --depclean" lists (amongst other things) all installed
  packages.  This includes both stuff in world, and stuff that is pulled
  in as a dependancy

* "grep media-fonts" filters the listing down to the "media-fonts"
  group, including various font utilities.

* "sort -u" filters out duplicate lines

* 'grep -v "pulled in by"' gets rid of the "pulled in by" lines.

* The "sed" command puts an "=" sign in front of each package name, to
  make it a valid emerge parameter

* the "tr" command converts linefeeds to spaces.  The string of
  packagenames is appended to "emerge -1 " in the file "ef"

* last, but not least, the file "ef" is set executable.  You can look at
  it before launching it.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>
#!/bin/bash