> > Me too.
> >
> > mdadm --detail /dev/md0 thinks that /dev/sdc1 is faulty.
> > I'm not sure whether it's really faulty, or just that my setup for RAID
> > is screwed up.
> >
> > How do I get rid of an existing /dev/md0?
>
> you stop it. Override the superblock with dd.. and lose all data on the disks.
>

> > I'm thinking that I can try creating a RAID1 array using the two
> > allegedly good disks and see if I can make that work.
>
> yeah
>

> > If that works, I'll get rid of it and try recreating the RAID1 with one
> > good disk and the one that mdadm thinks is faulty.
> >

> you don't have to. You can migrate a 2 disk raid1 to a 3 disk raid5. Howtos
> are availble via google.
>

> just saying - box in suspend to ram. I change the cable (and connector on
> mobo) on a disk with two raid 1 partitions on it.
>
> One came back after starting the box.
>
> The other? Nothing I tried worked. At the end I dd'ed the partition.. and did
> a complete 'faulty disk/replacement' resync....
>
> argl.

OK, so lesson learned.  Just because it builds correctly in a RAID1
array, that doesn't mean that the drive isn't toast.

I ran badblocks on the three drive components and, surprise,
surprise, /dev/sdc came up faulty.  I think I'll just build the two
non-faulty drives as a RAID0 array until the hard drive prices come back
down to pre-Thailand flood prices and backup regularly.

Thanks for all the help.

Jeff