So far, I have a stage 2 install with 2.6.12-r9, wireless (ipw2100), intel
modem (compiled in) and alsa (compiled in) on a dell inspiron 8600.  All is
functioning well.

I have the basic system installed and updated on my laptop.
Aside from the problem of the splash, everything seems to be well.
I'm wondering what direction to go next?

I'd like a good backup solution w/boot capability, but mondo is right out!
It's too flaky at the moment.
I'd like to get a backup of the system at this stage before adding a desktop
environment, so that I have somewhere to go back to in case of a bork
(either from software or operator error)

I'm also thinking that some security would be in order here (anti-virus at
least, but I've also read about others like port sentry, iptables, etc).

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

John D