On 2012-01-17, Michael Mol <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=1

>> The next question is what do I put in the Gentoo network configuration
>> file (/etc/conf.d/net) to get that result (eth2 up with no IP
>> addresses).
>>

> /etc/sysctl.conf
>
> net.ipv6.conf.eth0.disable_ipv6=1

Well that's just too simple and obvious.  I put a sysctl command in a
preup() function in conf.d/net, and that worked, but it's definitly
the wrong way to do it.

After putting the above line in sysctl.conf (and removing my preup()
function), everything worked as expected except that I had to manually
start the interface with the command "/etc/init.d/net.eth2 start".

Google told me to fix that by using rc-update to add net.eth2 to the
default runlevel.

Everything's tickety-boo now, but I don't remember have to do that
last step in the past when I added a network interface -- all I had to
do was create the symlink from net.<whatever> to net.lo.

Is the rc-update runlevel stuff new?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! BARBARA STANWYCK makes
                                  at               me nervous!!