I've installed other distributions of Linux before on a MacbookPro and
have found that installing GRUB to the boot record of sda is a Bad
Idea. Instead, try installing GRUB to the partition that Gentoo is
currently on (or wherever your /boot partition is mounted) such as
(hd0,3). Also, make sure that GRUB is compiled with support for the
filesystem that you desire to use; I know for a fact that you have to
have a particularly new version of GRUB to support EXT4 filesystems.