Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Rennie deGraaf schreef:
>> What command does one use to find what package(s) provide a particular
>> file, given that that particular file is not present on my system? For
>> example, I need a program called "foobar", but don't know what package
>> provides it. Under Fedora, I'd use "yum provides foobar"; what command
>> should I use under Gentoo?
>>
>> Something like "esearch foobar" searches package titles, not contents.
>> So, if I was searching for "vi", I'd get all sorts of stuff that has
>> nothing to do with the editor "vi", but happens to have the substring
>> "vi" in its name.  And if I was searching for "libfoobar.so", then I
>> might not find any matches, since that file might be in a package called
>> "foobar".  In other words, "esearch foobar" doesn't do what I want.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rennie
>

> equery belongs equery
> [ Searching for file(s) equery in *... ]
> app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5 (/usr/bin/equery)
> app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5
> (/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_pre5/equery)

This is new to me... thanks Holly

"W.Kenworthy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> man equery doesnt specifically say, but I suspect that along with other
> tools that do this like qpkg, they only work on the installed packages.
> I dont think gentoo can do this for packages not installed on the
> system.  I usually end up googling ...

One piece of man page may indicate otherwise:

       list <local-opts> pkgspec
              This command lists packages matching pkgspec in a user-specified
              combination  of  installed  packages,  packages  which  are  not
              installed, the portage tree, and the portage overlay tree.

              <local-opts> must include not include only -I; if -I is used, -p
              and/or -o must be also.  By default, only installed packages are
              searched.   -o  searches  only  the  overlay  tree [and possibly
              installed packages], not the main portage tree.

              -i, --installed search installed packages (default)
              -I, --exclude-installed do not search installed packages
              -p, --portage-tree also search in portage tree (/usr/portage)
              -o,    --overlay-tree    also    search    in    overlay    tree
              (/usr/local/portage)

However, I couldn't piece together what `pkgspec' might mean.

Can anyone here show some example commands using above with pkgspec
explained a bit more?