James Broadhead writes:

> Please try:
> ~/.mplayer/config
>   lavdopts=threads=2
>   # Use 128MiB input cache by default.
>   cache = 131072
>   # Prefill 20% of the cache before starting playback.
>   cache-min = 20.0
>
> Which should eliminate disk IO somewhat

James, thanks for your input. I already had threads = 2 in my config, now
I notice that this syntax is not valid. My cache setting was only 10M, and
I did not know about cache-min.

First, I thought these settings would help, the video I tested this with
this night no longer had problems. I commented the settings one after
another in order to find out which settings exactly helped most, and even
without them, it played fine. Maybe the whole video was in the cache at
that time already.

Then I tried another video, again with the settings you suggested, and it
stuttered. There were small pauses when the system did some stuff, and
when I did my dd test, the pauses were as long as five seconds. FIVE
SECONDS!

        Wonko