On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:40:39 -0500, Michael Mol wrote:

> > Is it the only running machine and you con only do the install sitting
> > at the machine?
>
> Occasionally that's the most convenient approach, sure. Especially
> when physical space is tight, or when the new box has much larger
> display[s] available to it.

Or when installing on a laptop that you need to be able to use away from
base during that time.

> > I once used Ubuntu to get a PowerPC machine booting Linux, then
> > studied how Ubuntu did and did my Gentoo install from scratch on a
> > different partition until it worked at which time I removed Ubuntu.
>
> Note I never said I used Ubuntu for this process. I was using the
> Gentoo live DVD. I don't see the need to use an Ubuntu disc over a
> Gentoo disc, in this case.

Note that I didn't say it was an Ubuntu live CD. I installed Ubuntu to
the hard disc, which gave me a usable machine very quickly. Then I could
do productive stuff on it while running the Gentoo installation in the
background.

--
Neil Bothwick

And then Adam said, "What's a headache?