On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 3:28 PM, Paul Hartman
<paul.hartman+gen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Mark Knecht <markkne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> What is it about my systems wherein every one of these https links
>> case my systems to barf with a "This Connection is Untrusted" message.
>> If I remove the 's' then things work fine.
>
> https encompasses two basic functions: encryption and trust.
>
> In this case the hostname in the SSL certificate installed on that
> server does not match the hostname in the URL, so it does not trust
> it. If they matched, it would then check to see if it was expired. If
> it was not expired, it would then check to see if it was signed by a
> CA that you trust (browsers come with a set of trusted CAs already).
> If it was self-signed or signed by an untrusted CA (like DigiNotar...)
> you'd get a warning as well.
>
> If literally every https link is untrusted, maybe you have an issue
> with the installation of certificates on your system, or have chosen
> not to trust any CAs.
>
> Commercial websites, banks, stores, etc. should always have valid and
> trusted certificates. In OSS world, most people don't have the need or
> money to pay for a certificate when all they're really interested in
> is encrypting the connection. There are also servers that are
> listening for https connections but aren't advertised as such... the
> mozilla website is probably one of those. Using plug-ins like
> HTTPS-everywhere will try to use https even on sites that don't use it
> by default.
>
> In all of those cases above, if you allowed the connection it would
> still be SSL encrypted. You'd be protected against packet sniffers but
> not against man-in-the-middle attack. By switching to http your
> session occurs in plain-text and is vulnerable to both attacks.

OK, clearly I'm overstating the problem then. I haven't ever had any
problems logging into password protected, little closed lock in the
bottom corner web sites so that's not a problem. The real problem I've
noticed the most is just with these links that arrive as https:// type
links and Firefox asking me to specifically accept these certificates
which I don't really want to do.

And I've not had any problems I've noticed by just removing the 's'
and using the site like a regular site.

So, I guess there really isn't any problem with my system.

I appreciate the info folks. As always, thanks!

Cheers,
Mark