Assuming that you have udev, take a look in here:
/etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules

and you should see
KERNEL="ippp0",         NAME="%k", GROUP="tty"

perhaps when you upgraded ppp* changed to ippp*?

you could try changing the configuration of the program you're using to use ippp* if this is the case.

Perhaps the more appropriate question would be:

How do I use udev to symlink /dev/ippp0 to /dev/ppp?
or
How do I use udev to create a custom node for /dev/ppp?

This seems to be implied by others who have posted, but scanning through I didn't see anyone give an example of this.

--
8^)
Laterz-

---
It is very possible that you will achieve greatness in your lifetime.
begin:vcard
fn:Alvin A ONeal Jr
n:ONeal;Alvin
adr;dom:;;34 Fletcher Lane;Shelburne;VT;05482
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;work:1.802.877.2938
tel;home:1.802.985.5277
tel;cell:1.802.578.0599
note;quoted-printable:DoB: 19860616=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://coolaj86.havenite.net
version:2.1
end:vcard