Grant writes:

> > Have a look at 'info grub', 'Booting' -> 'Making your system robust',
> > especially section 4.3.2 'Booting fallback systems'. That's what I
> > used in order to test new kernels remotely.
> >
> >        Wonko
>
> I like that better.  Where do you execute 'grub-set-default 0'?

I had it in /etc/init.d/local.start back when I used these features.
Nowadays with openrc I would put this line
in /etc/local.d/grub-default.start. I had some safety checks included,
like testing if networking and sshd was running, so this box would be
accessible from remote. But this is some years ago now, currently I do
not administrate such remote servers and so I have not used this
mechanism for a while.

> BTW, is there a way to tell which grub entry I'm booted into, or am I
> best off examining the contents of /proc/config.gz?

The first line in /boot/grub/default has the number of the default entry.
grub-set-default modifies this file, as does the GRUB savedefault command.

        Wonko