Bruno Lustosa wrote:
Hello. I'm running ntpd as server on one of my machines, and it keeps
itself in sync with 6 time servers around the globe. The
synchronization works very well.
The problem is when I try to get the other machines on the network to
sync themselves with this one server. Most of them are running linux
(kernel 2.6.x), but some are still running windows.
Some machines can sync fine, and some don't. All of them can reach the
server (same network), and there is no firewall at all.
This is the output I get from ntpq on the machines that don't work:

ntpq> peers
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
 timeserver     217.160.252.229  3 u   26   64  377    0.214  46927.6 716.379
ntpq> assoc

ind assID status  conf reach auth condition  last_event cnt
  1 15036  9064   yes   yes  none    reject   reachable  6

The only differences between this one and another machines where it's
working fine are the status code (it varies a bit) and the condition
(instead of reject, sys.peer).
The ntp.conf for all machines have just:

server 192.168.7.1

which is the ip address of the time server in question.
I don't know the internals of ntp. What can be wrong in my configuration?

That offset looks rather large. NTP really wants to make constant small changes, not a single huge change. This is why the ntpd setup allows for an immediate sync via ntpdate before starting the daemon. To fix this I'd shut down ntpd, run ntpdate 192.168.7.1, and then start ntpd again.

kashani