On Fri, Mar 2, 2012 at 11:24 AM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Last I heard we are not supposed to set python to 3 anything.  Has that
>>> changed?
>>>
>>> Dale
>>>

>> No, we're not supposed to set the *system* *default* to python3 yet.
>> Still, if you have multiple 3.x versions installed you would want to
>> set the python3 setting to the python version you want to default to
>> should some program absolutely require python3, so we've got 3 real
>> settings:
>>
>> System default - still python-2.x
>> Python2 - same python-2.x version as the system default
>> Python3 - what ever version you want for programs requiring Python3
>>
>> HTH,
>> Mark
>>

> But if I tell eselect to set it to 3 something then that is what the
> system will try to use right?  Isn't that what eselect does?  I'm
> recalling what was posted after you emerge python here.  The einfo/ewarn
> thingy.
>
> Again, this may have changed but what I'm wondering is if we need the
> python 2 stuff any more if we can set this to python 3.  After all,
> python 2 has to die eventually.  ^_^
>
> Dale

Dale,
   I'll try to make it clearer:

The command "eselect python set #" sets the system python profile.
This command allows you to choose any python currently on your system.
You should only choose a python2 setting at this time.

The commands:
eselect python list --python2
eselect python set --python2 #

only deal with python2

The command
eselect python list --python3
eselect python set --python3 #

only deal with python3

All three of those profiles (python, python2 & python3) are distinct
entities. They are different and can each be set any way you want. I
was only clarifying that before you removed python3.1 that you choose
python3.2 for your python3 profile.

Clearer?

HTH,
Mark