On March 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 07:27:05AM -0400, Daddy wrote
>
> > Having personally long considered Lennart Poettering a 'spawn of
> > the devil' my question is ... is this your reaction to systemd?
>
>   It's my reaction to the "Windows-isation" and "Firefox-isation" of
> linux.  So far I've managed to keep systemd and hal and dbus and
> pulseaudio off my machines.  I agree with Linus Torvalds that linux is
> getting bloated and huge and scary...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/22/linus_torvalds_linux_bloated_huge/

We share the same opinions there. To me the Linux distros have shot their
desktops in the foot; instead of getting _better_ than the competition, IMO
they've actually gotten worse in the last 5 years.

Will joyfully read that from Linus after my nap. (Probably did long ago and
forgot it.)

> > One minor typo to point out:
> >
> > /atc/portage/package.mask should be /etc/portage/package.mask
>
>   Thanks; fixed now.

Even when I can't offer code changes, typos are easy (having grown up in
the newspaper and printing business).

> > I just joined this list last week, but might consider sacrificing
> > some hardware to join your endeavor if you need more testers.
>
>   I have a couple of regular desktops here at home, and a desktop
> dedicted to my TV, plus a netbook, and a laptop.  So far, I've run into
> only one situation where laziness on my part ends up requiring udev.
> The laptop has an ATI Radeon chip that requires emerging radeon-ucode.
> That ebuild simply dumps a bunch of binary blobs into a library folder.
> The kernel loads one of the binary blobs at bootup.  Radeon-ucode has
> blobs for 2 or 3 dozen differnt Radeon GPU models.  If I leave all the
> binary blobs in the library folder, the kernel needs udev to figure out
> which blob to load.  But, if I leave only the correct blob for my GPU in
> the library folder (move/delete all the others), it loads properly
> without any help from udev.
>
> --
> Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>

iamben in #gentoo on IRC has piqued my interest to build a HTPC. Friday I
put a 60G SSD and a 1TB mechanical drive on a board, partitioned the SDD,
and d/led stage3 and portage before stopping. That and the earlier
mentioned test machine will be my builds for tomorrow. Actually the HTPC is
a strange idea, since we don't watch or even own a TV, but it might be a
way to sell some of this hardware on my shelf.

Kindest regards,
Bruce Hill
--
sig to come after punching a hole in the LAN and starting mutt on the
server