You could try a combination of XOSD with some of the suggestions at
gentoo-wiki.com, for example
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Watch_emerge_progress could be tweaked to
replace all echo commands with xosd ones.  Basically you'd end up with
some amount of text over the top of everything else (configurable of
course) and the last line would be relevant to your progress.  As for
actual screen savers, I doubt you'll find one already built for
xscreensaverd, but I've been wrong in the past.

--
Wade Brown