I am trying to get my system(s) ready for the new (read crappy) way
mandated by udev and am having some issues.

I usually manually compile my kernels, use tuxonice  and dont use an
initrd/initramfs.

As ToI is not available for the latest kernels, I updated openrc and
installed genkernel but then found I couldnt use in-kernel suspend to
disk - googling implies that genkernel doesnt support suspend/hibernate
but there are various kludges to get it to work.

So whats the least invasive, but workable kludge?

hibernate, pmhibernate, swsuspend, uswsuspend, ...

Are there any (up to date) docs?

BillK