Good evening, Stroller.

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 05:56:34PM +0000, Stroller wrote:

> On 13 March 2012, at 22:20, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > …
> >> udev does a *lot* more than that, for example the persistent naming of
> >> network interfaces. More significantly, it can run programs based on
> >> device rules.

> > This is where I start getting unhappy.  Is there any need for this
> > blurring?  Having device nodes is essential to a linux system, and
> > some programs use these nodes.  Why must they be mashed together into a
> > tasteless mush?  Is there some advantage to this I haven't twigged yet?

> Ok, so my system has 2 network cards. Maybe I only use one of them, or
> maybe they need to be physically connected in a certain way (one to
> LAN, the other WAN).

> Before asking this question, with the knowledge and understanding that
> we all already have, don't you have to first have to explain how you're
> going to ensure that eth0 is always assigned by the system to the first
> NIC and eth1 always to the second NIC?

By kernel parameters?  I once had a problem with the kernel not finding
my hard drives.  I solved it by putting the following kernel parameters
into my lilo.conf:

ide2=0xd000,0xd402,11 ide3=0xd800,0xdc02,11

The same could be done for network cards.

> >> You could use this to argue that /usr should be mounted before udev is
> >> started, but you could just as well use it to argue that udev should not
> >> be trying to run such rules at the boot runlevel.

> > Or that udev shouldn't have "rules".  I still don't understand the basic
> > concept driving this thing.  My HDDs don't need rules - they just need a
> > mapping from /dev/sd[ab] into device 8/0 and 8/16, and the appropriate
> > drivers built into my kernel.

> I'm assuming, then, that you're happy opening a terminal and typing
> `mkdir /mnt/diskname` and mounting the device every time you plug a new
> disk in?

You might be taking me just a wee bit _too_ literally there.  But yes, I
mount each removable device I plug in.

> Wouldn't it just be nice to plug in your USB devices - hard-drives and
> flash drives - and have them magically appear on the desktop like they
> do on every other desktop operating system?

Yes.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).