On 2012-03-14 9:03 PM, Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org> wrote:
*YOUR WIFE'S LAPTOP*  won't boot properly without /usr on /, or an
initramfs.  OK, put /usr on /, or an initramfs*ON YOUR WIFE'S LAPTOP*.
I don't have a problem with that.  What gets people really upset is the
dog-in-the-manger attitude of "if my complex/corner-case machine won't
boot up without /usr on /, or an initramfs, then by golly*NOBODY'S*
machine will be allowed to boot up without /usr on /, or an initramfs".
My machine does not use bluetooth/other-weird-stuff.  udev doesn't need
to find bluetooth drivers on /usr on my machine.  Why is udev being
deliberately broken to not work on*EVERYBODY'S*  machine if they don't
have /usr on /, or an initramfs?

Why can't this argument simply be satisfied with one or more new profiles?