On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Maxim Wexler <maxim.wex...@gmail.com>wrote:

> > Hi Maxim, what changed when the modem stopped working?
>
> Dunno
>

> > Also can you supply the output of the "route -n" and ifconfig commands
> > to give us a chance of seeing if anything has gone adrift there.  Also
> > if you are using (and have tested that its not the problem) any firewall
> > running.
>
> I don't use the /etc/conf.d/net file. Also all net hotplug services
> are turned of in rc.conf.
> route -n shows nothing except ppp0
> (this is from ubuntu, but it was the same for gentoo when it was working)
> root@gnubu:~# route -n
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
> Iface
> 0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         U     0      0        0
> ppp0
> 161.184.0.199   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
> ppp0

I am too young to know the details of dial-up, but going on the assumption
that it uses DHCP or something similar, that last line is definitely a
problem. In order for packets to reach an outside network, they need to
know where to go. This may be your local router or a router from your ISP.
Regardless of the configuration, with a gateway of 0.0.0.0, any packets
with a destination on the internet will never get there. Because you
experience this problem under both Gentoo and Ubuntu, it sounds like an
issue elsewhere. Does the other computer on your LAN have a problem
accessing the internet?

- Matt