On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:05 AM, Andrew Lowe <a...@wht.com.au> wrote:
> On 03/19/12 20:34, Mark Knecht wrote:

>>> Think CUDA
>>>
>>> Mark
>>
>> Sorry. Meant to include this reference: <$15 on Kindle. Reads great on
>> Kindle for PC.
>>
>> http://www.amazon.com/CUDA-Example-Introduction-General-Purpose-ebook/dp/B003VYBOSE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1332160431&sr=8-4
>>

>        I'm sorry but I'm doing a PhD, not creating a career in Academia. The
> concept of writing an FEA or CFD from scratch, with CUDA is laughable, I
> just don't have the time to learn CUDA, research the field, small
> displacement, large displacement, dynamics, material nonlinearities,
> write the code, and then most importantly benchmark it to make sure it's
> actually correct. This is all bearing in mind that I have 20+ years
> experience as a C/C++ technical software developer, including FEA and
> CFD. I'll actually be using Code Aster, an open source FEA code that
> runs under Linux.
>
>        Sorry if I sound narky, but compilers is the subject at hand, not how
> to write FEA code.
>
>        Anyway, thanks for answering,
>
>                Andrew

Nahh, be as snarky as you like as long as you don't really mean it personally.

My experience with CUDA, and I'm not a programmer, is that there is a
fairly steep learning curve. However changing C compilers will get you
maybe 5%. Changing to CUDA will get you 30,000%, assuming a mid-high
range CUDA card and that you can parallel-ize FEA. I did a little
Googling and it seems that FEA is a pretty common CUDA topic so I
don't think at the outset that you'd find yourself all alone.

Good luck whatever you do and know that I didn't mind the response at all! :-)

Cheers,
Mark