Perhaps it would help if you for a minute try to break the assumed and
transparent (from a M$Windoze user perspective) linkage between
filesystem components (e.g. a directory like /mnt/gentoo) and device
components (e.g. a partition like /dev/hda3).  The physical device which
contains actual data will only be connected to the software entity of a
directory, after it is mounted (linked) to it by means of # mount
<device> <path>.  After that linkage (mounting) is established your OS
can access and read the data stored on that device.

> > # mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot
> > Where am I making this directory? I would assume this
> > statement creates the directory on /dev/hda3.

Not as you understand it:  directories are software entities, /dev/hda3
is a physical device (hardware).  In other words, you are creating a
subdirectory within your /mnt/gentoo directory - a software path in your
filesystem.  As long as your /mnt/gentoo directory has been linked to
the physical device of /dev/hda3 then this
<directory/subdirectory/.../files> structure and its contents will be
stored (saved) in the mounted /dev/hda3.

> > But then, in the next statement, I'm
> > associating it with /dev/hda4!

OK, if you were to mount your /dev/hda4 to your /mnt/gentoo/usr then any
relevant data produced thereafter will no longer be stored on the
previously mounted device (/dev/hda3), but on the newly mounted
/dev/hda4.

I hope this helps.
--
Regards,