Evening, Neil.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 05:35:35PM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 15:56:28 +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > I think I have the elegant solution: that would be for the kernel to be
> > able to mount several partitions at system initialisation rather than
> > just the root partition.  With this, all the issues we've been
> > discussing simply wouldn't arise.

> That's an excellent idea.

> > I accept that this solution will never happen.  Sadly.

> It's already happened here. My kernel mounts / and /usr thanks to the
> inbuilt initramfs

That's exactly what I didn't mean, and I think you might have been aware
of that.

What I did mean was being able to mount subsequent partitions by giving
kernel parameters in the boot loader configuration file.  Something like
"mount=8,3:/usr" for mount /dev/sda3 /usr.

This would avoid the need to spend any effort whatsoever on building an
initramfs, yet /usr would be mounted early in boot.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).