walt writes:

> 00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek
> HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series] Subsystem: Lenovo
> Device 3625 Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
>       Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
>
> 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia
> Controller (rev 01) Subsystem: Lenovo Device 3625
>       Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
>       Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Probably those are HDMI and 'normal' device. I had similar problems on my
sister's PC.

> I spent an entire frustrating day discovering that the reason I
> have no sound is that every app wants to use /dev/mixer when only
> /dev/mixer1 actually works :(
>
> Only some apps (like audacious) will let me choose which mixer to
> use, and those apps work perfectly.
>
> Anyone else seen this before, I hope?  Got a fix?

My solution was to edit /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf, and change
defaults.ctl.card and defaults.pcm.card from 0 to 1. Add this file to
CONFIG_PROTECT in make.conf, or else the next alsa update will overwrite
the file.

        Wonko