On 04.04.2012 20:12, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
> Another scare.  No emacs, no apache, gnome in trouble ...
>
> don't install icu-49.1
>
> I was going to file a bug but I see that there are a few stating that
> some things fail with 49.1 so I don't know that my adding to the list
> will help.
>
> To see the list just ask for
>
> ALL icu
>
> I now have to reinstall everything that was installed after icu, or at
> least try them to see if they fail.
>
> allan

Why can't ebuilds like icu be made like openssl or openldap where the
libs are not replaced, but old libs stay and a text is displayed to use
redep-rebuild and afterwards rm the old libs?

That way software doesn't suddenly brake until you reemerge half your
desktop/servers (only to reemerge everything again the next day, because
that lib gets suddenly masked).

I like the behavior of openldap and openssl, I'd like to have that for
gfx-libs that brake the desktop (like icu) too.

Please, please do it dear gentoo devs :)

Daniel

--
PGP key @
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x837FB8B5BB9D4887