On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 03:39:12PM +0000, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, all.
>
> My printing's not working.  I've got cups-1.4.8-r1 installed.
>
> If I attempt to print from (say) Mozilla, everything appears to go fine
> up to the actual printing.  I do
>
>     # lpq
>
> , then I get this:
>
>     ML-1450 is ready and printing
>     Rank    Owner   Job     File(s)                         Total Size
>     active  acm     44      Lernen im Internet - Anmeldung  94208 bytes
>
> .
>
> However the printer isn't actually printing.  I know there's nothing
> wrong with the printer or USB cable as such, since I can do
>
>     $ echo printing^L > /dev/lp0
>
> , and a page with "printing" on it comes out of my printer.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Have you checked the cups setup - http://localhost:631 - and looked at all
the setup settings and the Jobs queue? Sounds like a driver issue to me, but
I always use HP printers, and hplip takes care of the drivers. I'm not
familiar with the drivers for Samsung products.

Perhaps someone will come along who has that printer that can assist you.
Also you might ask on freenode IRC, channel #gentoo. That is a very helpful
resource. Good luck!

Terry