Am 21.04.2012 20:56, schrieb Mick:
> I am getting confused about the syntax that openrc is meant to follow ...
>
> One box of mine that uses modules ran some script at the time that I upgraded
> to openrc and it added my currently running modules into /etc/conf.d/modules.
>
> The syntax was like so:
>
> modules_2_6="${modules_2_6} cls_tcindex"
> module_cls_tcindex_args_2_6="
>
> Things moved on and with newer kernel versions I went to update the file
> after
> I had a look at the documentation:
>
>   http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/openrc-migration.xml
>
> Well there is no ${modules_2_6} shown in the examples so I removed it from my
> /etc/conf.d/modules.  The new syntax was now:
>
> modules_3_2="cls_tcindex"
>
> and guess what?  No modules loaded at all when I reboot.  :-/
>

> I had to add ${modules_3_2} in there to get things going again.
>
> However 'echo ${modules_3_2}' on the CLI does not show anything.  Can you
> please explain why this variable is needed for modules to load up again and
> why it is not shown in the documentation?

I guess it is "modules_3" now. With the transition to 3.x, the numbering
scheme has changed and minor numbers change much more frequently.

You can also simply use "modules=" unless you have a reason for
distinguishing between versions. At least, that's what I use here.

Hope this helps,
Florian Philipp