Philip Webb wrote:
> 120510 Dale wrote:
>> Philip Webb wrote:
>>> I have a lot of images scanned from old negatives of non-standard sizes,
>>> which I had to split up into halves or quarters to process;
>>> I was careful to use the same settings for each of the sub-parts.
>>> Now I want to reassemble them into the original whole pictures.
>> I have used hugin but it has been a while.
>> As long as you have enough points tied together, it works fine.
>> I have taken as many as 30 pictures and stitched them together.
>> I had three rows of 10.  It was of a park and it looked great when done.
>> It took a couple tries to get it just right but it did a good job
>> and that was a good size project.  Doing 4 or 5 pictures is pretty easy.
>> Lots of overlap is the key tho.
>
> 120510 Alex Shuster wrote :
>> I'd use ImageMagick's montage command.
>> You have to find out how exactly to do this, but once you know this,
>> you can automate this and process them all at once in a loop.
>> See http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/
>> and esp http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/montage/
>
> Thanks to both ! -- Imagemagick looks as if it's very technical
> & I'm not sure how it would handle matching overlapping photos.
> That is what Corbet described doing & Dale seems to have done,
> so I'll emerge Hugin & see what it can do.
>
> As I now notice, the negatives I want to use right now are not split,
> but there are many others which are, so this wb useful eventually.

The biggest things about hugin, 1)  learning to use the thing  2)
patience.  The more control points you get, the better it will turn out.
 Whatever you do, don't leave a control point that is not matched up.
Talk about a weird picture.  lol   It only takes one too.

First thing, load your pics.  I usually load them in the sequence they
need to be matched up with.  When you have one image on the left, a
different but connectible image on the right, do one control point
manually.  After the first one, you can pick a point on one image and it
will find it on the other automagically.  If it gives a error, add the
point then delete it.  That's where the weird pictures can come in.
This varies but I try to get at least 10 or 12 points.  That is a
minimum.  If you have the patience and really want a good picture, get
30 points or more.

I would suggest reading a howto with screen shots.  If you need help,
let me know.  It's been a while but I will try.

Oh, hugin can be complicated to.  It has a lot of settings and options.

Dale

:-)  :-)

how you interpreted my words!

Miss the compile output?  Hint: