On Thu, Aug 25, 2005 at 08:07:52PM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> well, my new seagate died in the first week.. .the second one run for years
> without problems...
>
> Seagate = Sie geht oder sie geht nicht. (it works or  not).

If it is DOA or dies very soon, you can always demand they replace it.
What I hate most is those Maxtor drives that dies just one month after
the warranty expired.

Also, Seagate's website has some nice diagnostic tools. My ex-roommate
had this habit of slamming the doors. And The vibration sent through
the thin wood paneling jerked my desktop just enough to start
producing dead sectors. The Maxtor just started crapping out after the
first dead sector is found, and there's no getting it back to life.
The replacement Seagate suffered the same problem until I added some
precautions (dampening the contact of computer with desk and desk with
wall). But the diagnostic tool just swapped a few sectors from the
back-up sectors and I'm all fine.

"`Credit?' he said. `Aaaargggh...'
These two words are usually coupled together in the Old
Pink Dog Bar."

- Ford in a spot of bother.
Sortir en Pantoufles: up 13 days, 21:37