On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Alex Schuster <wo...@wonkology.org> wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> I'm using the new udev with a separate /usr partition.

How do you create your initramfs? The new udev (>= 182, I believe)
requires the use of an initramfs if you have a separated /usr.

> It was encrypted,
> and it seems there is no solution yet for this.

dracut has two modules, crypt and crypt-gpg, that maybe do what you are needing.

> so I moved it over to an
> unencrypted volume - no problem, /usr is one partition where encryption
> does not make that much sense anyway. Works, but after an unclean shutdown
> (reading files in /proc/<pid>/ was not a good idea) /usr wants to be
> fsck'ed. But it is already mounted at that stage.

That's the reason you need an initramfs.

> The boot process just continues, but I wonder what one should do to make
> the fsck run. Except for using a live cd.

With an initramfs.

> Maybe I should just enlarge my root partition and move /usr there, at
> least this would avoid all the trouble. But I'm used to many separate
> partitions, and like it that way.

You can have every directory under / on a different partition (even
/etc), if you use an initramfs.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés