On 13 May 2012, at 00:22, Alex Schuster wrote:
> …
>>> You can set LESSIGNORE='*.htm*'. This environment variable is used by
>>> the lesspipe command, which is invoked by less and filters the input
>>> file before giving it to less itself.
>>
>> Contrary to my previous email, sent in error, that does NOT work.
>>
>> Did you check this yourself?
>
> Yes. I did not know about this mechanism before, but 'env|grep -i less'
> showed the LESS and LESSOPEN environment variable, so I learnt about the
> lesspipe command. lesspipe -h gives a little info, LESSIGNORE is shown
> there.

I have here now:

$ env | grep -i less
PAGER=/usr/bin/less
LESS=-R -M --shift 5
LESSOPEN=|lesspipe %s
LESSIGNORE=*.htm*
$

And still the same thing.

>> What version of less are you using, please? I have =sys-apps/less-444
>> installed here.
>
> 445-r1, but I just downgraded to 444, and it behaves the same. I have the
> pcre and unicode USE flags set, but don't assume they make any
> difference. Weird, no idea why it it not working for you.

Thanks for your help.

`less -L file.html` works for me - I've got a way of dealing with this, and I'm
busy with other stuff right now, so I'm just going to forget worrying about
LESSIGNORE.

I post the above output showing my less environment only for the benefit of
anyone else encountering this in the future - perhaps it gives them something
to go on.

I appreciate your assistance,

Stroller.