I have been using encfs to store most of my home dir for ages.  I rebooted
Sunday morning (it's a ~amd64 system) to change kernel to 3.3.5 from 3.3.4, and
sometime overnight, after the nightly backups and mail archives had run, the
encfs mounted partition became read-only.  I know the timing only by the cron
jobs; the nightly mail backup moves files from the /home partition to the encfs
partition, and it had not failed.  I unmounted the encfs partition, remounted,
and it was read-only right from the get go.

There are no errors in /var/log/messages of any sort since the 3.3.5 boot.  The
mount command showed both the encfs partition and the underlying regular
partition as rw, not ro.

I just now rebooted back to 3.3.4, and it's read-write, but so was 3.3.5 at the
beginning, and for at least 20 hours.  I do not know if the read-only switch
was from a time delay, from some activity, from the kernel change, or some
other package.  If it lasts a day or two without switching to read-only, I will
try 3.3.5 again.

I am going to set up a screen session to check the rw capability every minute,
to see if pinning down the time helps any with the log file.

Does anyone know of any package changes that would have caused this?  Neither
google nor the gentoo bug search found anything interesting for "encfs" or
"fuser".

     Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / fe...@crowfix.com
  GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E  6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933