On 24/06/12 00:20, fe...@crowfix.com wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 23, 2012 at 06:05:30PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
>> I have a couple "MV88SX6081 8-port SATA II PCI-X Controller" devices I
>> picked up from Newegg a couple years back. They work beautifully.

I second the recommendation. Don't know about the specific model sold on
newegg, but these are generally easy to find used for a good price on ebay:

http://www.alyf.net/pictures/E%27%20arrivato%20babbo%20natale/pics/STP85650.jpg

I have a couple of them in a storage server running linux; the driver is
stable and they work well with hotplug backplanes.

The Marvell chip itself, although not very common as a stand-alone
device, was used as the SATA front-end in a lot of high-end RAID cards
(e.g. Areca 1280, 3ware 3550,...)

I can also confirm that these cards work with port multipliers in FIS
mode, although hotplug sometimes breaks when using PMPs.

andrea