I have been using Linux for a couple years but am a newbie to Gentoo. I am
very concerned about the security of an OS. It is one of the reasons I
switched to Linux.

On another gentoo newsgroup I made a comment about deleting pam because I
believed it was causing a problem with logins to KDE. I was severely
reprimanded for such a careless attitude towards security. I am a home
user and may have anywhere from 1-3 computers on my home network. I do not
run any servers open to the net. I have read a couple comments in this
newsgroup about how pam is not needed for a user such as myself and in
fact can cause problems.

1. Could someone explain why pam would not be needed? Is relying on
permissions, passwords, and firewall adequate? Which problems may result
for using pam?

2. I already have pam installed. What is the cleanest way to remove it
without having any residual hiccoughs.

Thanks for taking the time to answer some basic newbie questions.
BTW I have been very impressed by the way people in this ng take the time
to answer questions and treat each other with respect.

Jerry