On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM, Nilesh Govindrajan
<cont...@nileshgr.com> wrote:
> On Sat 14 Jul 2012 09:58:22 AM IST, Nilesh Govindrajan wrote:

>>> It seems I was using only gnome-shell 3.4 and did not update others.
>>> Now I unmasked 3.4 completely (gnome-base/*, gnome-extra/*).
>>> It's much more stable than 3.2, except for the two faults I pasted
>>> above.
>>>
>>> Watching this thing now for crashes, will post update soon.
>>>

>> And boo.. it crashed just after writing the previous mail. Upto 3
>> windows on the single workspace was good, with 4 it crashed. :|
>>
>> No faults reported in dmesg though.
>>
>> Is my video card incompetent?
>>

> I'm compelled to concolude that GNOME3 simply does not work on 4-5 year old
> hardware. Yeah, on a Dual Core 2 Ghz, 3 GB RAM, and i945 128 MB.
>
> I'm back to my cozy place, KDE and alsaequal (instead of pulseaudio).

I know "works for me" is basically useless, but my laptop is from
2008, a dual core 2.26 GHz with 4 GB of RAM, and an Intel Corporation
Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller, i915 video
card.

As I said, works perfectly.

Regards.
--