Am Dienstag, 17. Juli 2012, 07:52:08 schrieb Nilesh Govindrajan:
> So the same old query again I guess.
> What architecture should I use for a machine with 3GB RAM and a 64bit
> processor?
>
> I believe 64bit should be given serious consideration only if RAM is gt or
> = 4 GB, even there 32bit is allowable with PAE if I'm not wrong.
>
> So what is recommended? There are as such no special use cases to go 64bit
> for me.

now that I am home: you believe wrong.

There are many good reasons to go 64 bit. Easier memory managment, more
registers. Bigger register. Faster math because of the bigger registers.

There is seriously NUL reasons to use 32bit. Zero. Zilch. Why throw away all
those nice improvements - for nothing in return?

Video-codecs? I haven't seen a video in years that was not playable by 64bit
ffmpeg based players but worked with 32bit. Those who were troublemakers were
also unplayable with 32bit codecs. Flash? Just works. Stable? You bet.

The only use case that might come up is wine - I don't know anything about
that beast. Haven't had any use for it in years.

--
#163933