120810 Michael Mol wrote:
> On Aug 10, 2012 at 11:27 AM, Florian Philipp <li...@binarywings.net>wrote:
>> The latest thing of any significance I can think of
>> is the removal of lumpy reclaim in 3.4
>> which has something to do with reducing memory fragmentation
>> in systems under memory stress.  LWN has a subscriber-only article
>> about the change causing performance regressions.
>> I doubt it could cause an improvement in this particular situation.

On my system, swapping was eliminated after installing Kernel 3.4.0 .

> I honestly think anyone having difficulties with swap should check out
> the vm.swappiness sysctl before looking anywhere else.
> Setting it to 0 is much like removing swap,
> except you still have the swap space if you actually need it.
> On my work laptop, it looks like it defaults to a value of 60.

For some years, I have set swappiness at  10 .

My best guess after the various comments (thanks)
is that it resulted from the code clean-up in Libre Office
& that my memory was faulty in believing it had also happened with Firefox.
It shouldn't have happened previously, as I have  4 GB  RAM
& lots of temporary disk space for Portage to use.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca