On Sun, Aug 12 2012, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottl...@nyu.edu> wrote:
>> I have been masking udev-181 so that I can continue to keep my current
>> system with / and /usr separate partitions.
>>
>> This has required masking pciutils and usbutils as well.
>> /etc/portage/package.mask/udev-181 contains
>>   >=sys-fs/udev-181
>>   >=sys-apps/pciutils-3.1.9-r2
>>   >=sys-apps/usbutils-005-r1
>>
>> Now udisks-1.99.0-r1 wants to pull in a new package udev-init-scripts.
>> I currently have udisks-1.98.0 which is fine.
>>
>> I added
>>   >=sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0
>> to package.mask/udev-181 and  emerge --pretend --update world reports no
>> conflicts.
>>
>> I was about to proceed when I looked at eix udisks and noticed that
>> 1. "my" udisk -1.98.0 is no longer there
>> 2. The 1-99.0-r1 is now in slot 2 and new 1.0.4-r[23] are in slot 0.
>>    I looked at -r3 and it wants >=udev-171-r5.  Since I have -r6 my sys.
>>    should meet the requirement.
>>
>> So I wonder if my mask >=sys-fs/udisks-1.99.0 is a bad idea and I should
>> instead be forcing/encouraging udisks-1.0.4-r3 (and, if so, how?).
>
> Not a bad idea per se, but you do realize that you cannoy keep masking
> some stuff and upgrading the rest, right?

Right.

> If you are happy with udisks 1.98, get the ebuild
> /var/db/pkg/sys-fs/udisk-1.98.0 (if still there), and keep it in a
> personal overlay. The same with all the stuff you need for not
> upgrading udev.
>
> I believe (for reading your posts into the list) that you really don't
> want an initramfs, or at least dracut. I would give it a try; I'm
> pretty sure is easier than juggling package masks.

You are certainly correct that this is a stopgap method.  I am trying to
order a new system from dell and when successful will definitely install
/ and /usr together on one partition and hence have the modern udev.
Once I am comfortably on that new system I will re-install my three old
systems to also have a combined / /usr.  I just don't want to have my
main system down.

thanks,
allan