On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 06:21:39AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote

> so I'm now planning to buy a new DVD drive & to start using DVDs.
> I wb using them only for back-ups, not playing music or videos.
>
> This looks like a good enough item :
>   ASUS DRW-24B1ST 24x SATA Black R 48x W 8x OEM : CAD 24,99

  Some "outside the box thinking"...
* You said CDs are going away, so let's use DVDs
* Others said DVDs are going away, so let's use Bluerays
* I say that exposed-platter media in general is going away

  So let's look at using USB keys instead...
* My "offsite backup" is a couple of 16-gig USB keys in a safety deposit
  box at my bank.  Ever tried to stash a CD/DVD/Blueray disk into a
  regular-size safety deposit box?  It doesn't work.

* Random access - check

* All permissions and ownership UIDs - check (when formatted with any
  linux file system).

  I suggest formatting as ext2fs.  It's simple, and it works.  You won't
be writing that often, and journaling filesystems can be murder on USB
keys.  FAT32 doesn't save linux ownership+permissions.  Also, while the
FAT32 partition can go up to 2 terabytes, individual files can only go
up to 4 gigs.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>