On Saturday 27 August 2005 05:41, Walter Dnes wrote:
>   This'll be my first linux install that won't be 32-bit Intel.  I've

Congratulations! you've made a wonderful choice 8-)

> been reading the AMD64 install docs on the Gentoo.org website.  The big
> items I've noticed are...
>   - stick with ext2fs/ext3fs with all other filesystems being unstable

oh? for almost a year now I have an AMD64 system and I've used reiserfs for
all my filesystems without any problems! so I can really recommend reiserfs
but I can't say anything about other filesystems...

>   - do not enable kernel pre-emption if I want firewire to work

I don't know about firewire and preemtion since I don't have firewire. But
recent kernels have two preemt options: full and voluntary preemtion maybe
you can try both and see what happens.

>   - enable 32-bit emulation for some apps

yup, if you want to use Flash then you need a 32-bit browser.
to use win32 codecs you need a 32-bit mplayer.

>   I notice that the AMD64 Gentoo install manual at
> http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml only lists
> GRUB.  Does LILO not work on AMD64?

never tried to use lilo on AMD64, since I switched from lilo to grub and never
want to go back.

>   I intend to use the following partition layout...
>   - /    8 gigs

a little tiny: your /usr gets very big when you have a lot of programs (Gentoo
installs everything on /usr by default) and your posrtage cache easily
reaches ~3GB...

I suggest to create a /usr partition of ~8GB and a / of ~2GB

>   - swap 2 gigs
>   - /var 8 gigs
>   - /home gets the rest of the drive.  There'll be tons of my garbage
>     under /home/misc.  /usr/local and /opt will be symlinks on / with
>     the actual files sitting in /home/misc/local and /home/misc/opt.

in Gentoo /usr/local is almost not used: du /usr/local only lists empty dirs.
so this can just reside on the /usr partition

>   This layout reflects my experiences from my Windows and Redhat days.
> Keep the OS on its own partition, so you can blow away and re-install or
> install the next version as required.
>
>   Anything else to watch for when installing on AMD64?

not that I know of, so have fun with your new system!

        Rudmer