Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 02 Sep 2012 08:54:27 Dale wrote:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I have this little weather "applet" thingy down at the bottom of my
>> desktop in the thing I think they call the panel.  Anyway, the weather
>> thing has been sending something for HOURS now.  I have logged out of
>> KDE, reset the network and even the router just to see if it would die.
>> As soon as I login or the router comes back up, it start sending data
>> again.  I can't get it to stop.  As a last resort, I took the thing off
>> my panel thingy.  It still sends data like crazy.
> I clicked on my Weather Forecast applet settings and it also started sending
> packets to wetter.com - despite the fact that I have set it to connect to the
> BBC weather RSS feed.  Hmm ...
>

>> Does anyone know how to kill this thing?  I'd like to surf the net
>> without this thing hogging up my DSL connection.
> It's not using that many packets, but I agree that it is annoying.
>
> The solution is to kill the kio_http that was running it.  Use ps, top, lsof
> as you prefer to find which PID you should kill.

Well, I got annoyed beyond reason and just renamed the config file.  Now
all is quiet except for me surfing the web.  ;-)  I used ps and I
couldn't figure out what process was running it.  Then again, I wasn't
sure what to look for either.  o_O

I lost my settings tho.  :-(

>> While I am at it.  I'm supposed to get my weather stuff from NOAA or at
>> least that is where it came from ages ago.  Ever since I went from KDE3
>> to KDE4, it wants to come from wetter.com which doesn't work to begin
>> with.  This is what I think it is doing to my network.  It is trying to
>> get data that doesn't exist to begin with so it just keeps trying.
>> Anybody know how to beat this thing silly?  By the way, using iftop,
>> that is where all this traffic is going to.
> I am not sure if wetter.com is hardcoded somewhere.  In my
> .kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc I can see my BBC URI in the
> weather applet settings, but nothing about wetter.com.

I researched this a good while back and it appears that it is hard
coded.  Back in KDE3, I think it had some way of selecting what to
connect to, depending on what country you are in I guess.  Now, It's
either wetter.com or nothing on my rig.  From my vague recollection of
others describing it, if you live in the USA, no weather updates.  Since
KDE4 seems to have broken it, maybe KDE5 will fix it.  LOL

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!