On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 04:15:23 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > You missed the point. One of the first thing emerge will do is to
> > uncompress the package. At this time, all the files are cached in RAM.
> > Hence, everything needed for the build/compilation will come from the
> > cache like it would do with tmpfs.
> >

> You miss this point not me.  I *cleared* that cache.  From kernel.org:

Sorry Dale, but you are missing the point. You cleared the cache before
running emerge, then ran emerge. The first thing emerge did was unpack
the tarball and populate the disk cache. All clearing the disk cache did
was make sure there was plenty of space to cache the new data, thus
speeding up the process.

--
Neil Bothwick

"A snooze button is a poor substitute for no alarm clock at all."