Robert Crawford schreef:
> On Saturday 27 August 2005 09:40 am, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>>Running emerge -v -p world -u shows:
>>
>>Calculating world dependencies  ....^H^H ...done!
>>[blocks B     ] <net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1 (is blocking
>>net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00)
>>
>>However any attempt to unmerge net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00 gets this error:
>>root # emerge -v -C net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00
>>
>>--- Couldn't find net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00 to unmerge.

>>I want to keep the vsftpd package so what needs to happen here?
>

> You need to:
>
> emerge -C  net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1

Actually, you shouldn't even need to specify the version (which syntax,
btw, is 'emerge -C =net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1' --you need that = sign to
specify a particular version of a program), just doing a regular

emerge -C(av) vsftpd

should be perfectly sufficient to clear the block.

> (or any earlier vsftpd version found on your system) temporarily,  and after
> you emerge  net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00 and world, you can emerge
> net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1  again.

You likely should not have to. The idea of a BLOCK is that the new
package either replaces the functionality of, or includes the
functionality of, the currently installed program.

This is why they block each other; for example, xchat-gnome is blocked
by xchat, because xchat-gnome is the full xchat program (as opposed to a
frontend), as is xchat (of course). So you can't install both of them at
the same time.

In this case, ftpbase installs the same functionality as vsftpd-- and
may in fact create binaries with the same name, as gamin does for fam.

You can't (apparently) have two ftp daemons installed at the same time,
just as you can't have two file alteration monitors installed at the
same time.

I admit, the message is confusing, but just remember it's in reverse
from what seems to naturally make sense to people:

> Calculating world dependencies  ....^H^H ...done!
> [blocks B     ] <net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1 (is blocking
> net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00)

means that because

net-ftp/vsftpd-2.0.3-r1

is currently installed on the system

net-ftp/ftpbase-0.00

which would be installed by the current operation, under normal
circumstances, cannot be installed.

Thus, the first package named is installed and has to be removed so that
the second package named can be installed by Portage.

Most people (including me, before I trained myself) read this message
the other way around and think that the second package named is the one
that is currently installed, but the second named package is the one
that Portage *wants* to install (but can't, because of the first named
package).

HTH,
Holly