On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 08:08:10PM +0200, Kraus Philipp wrote
> Hello,
>
> I have got a modem US Robotics 5637 and I would like to use it with
> Hylafax+. Hylafax works fine, all clients can create jobs, but now
> I would like to configure / test the modem. Can anybody explain me
> how I can test / configure my modem. I have installed minicom and
> the modem is setup under /dev/modem with this udev rules

  I have the same type of USB dialup modem running under Gentoo.  I use
it for emergency backup, if my ADSL connection goes down.  First
question... is your kernel properly configured?  You need to select the
USB Modem (CDC ACM) support kernel option.  In "make menuconfig" the
path is...
Device Drivers  --->
   [*] USB support  --->
       <*>   USB Modem (CDC ACM) support

  You also need to enable serial modem support.  On my system...
Device Drivers  --->
    Character devices  --->
        Serial drivers  --->
           <*> 8250/16550 and compatible serial support
           (6) Maximum number of 8250/16550 serial ports
           (5) Number of 8250/16550 serial ports to register at runtime

  Once you set up and rebuild your kernel, you have to reboot for these
changes to take effect.  After rebooting, the next step is to create 1
or more device nodes.  As root...

mkdir -p /dev/usb
mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM0 c 166 0

if you have multiple modems, you can add additional nodes like so...
mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM1 c 166 1
mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM2 c 166 2
mknod /dev/usb/ttyACM3 c 166 3

  I don't bother with udev rules.  In pppconfig I select /dev/usb/ttyACM0
as the device to connect to.  Note, the character after "ACM" is the
number zero, not the letter "O".

> I think I must setup pulse dial and I would like to test first the
> modem, if it dials under the correct number because it is conected
> to a telefon facility.

  When you make an ordinary phone call on that line...
* if you hear a bunch of "clicks", it's a pulse line
* if you hear a few beeps, it's a tone line

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>