On 09/13/2012 10:37 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 12. September 2012, 17:18:38 schrieb Daniel Frey:
>> So about a month ago I decided to update my kernel to the dreaded 3.x
>> series. My old 2.6.x kernel was working fine, but of course I decided
>> to try to update it anyway, knowing there were problems with suspend
>> and a few other things.
>>
>> I've always used gentoo-sources. So I tried 3.3.8.
>>
>> Hrm. Suspend doesn't work. I tried 3.4.5, 3.4.9 and 3.0.35 (older
>> versions are no longer available.) If I'd known it would completely
>> kill my suspend and make it useless, I wouldn't have bothered.
>>
>> Here's the problem:
>>
>> I can suspend fine. It appears to work. It powers off and goes into
>> its suspend state. I press the space bar. Nothing. So, then I
>> discovered that as of 3.2 USB wakeup had completely changed in the
>> kernel, and you need to set hubs and devices in /proc/acpi/wakeup
> I don't have to do that.

You're lucky then - I've googled the issue and it has hit a lot of users
from all sorts of distros, it's not specific to gentoo. Usually when the
keyboard won't wake up the PC you can use the power button, which didn't
work on my machine either.

I'm kind of suspecting the PSU now. It's getting worse, and it happens
on several kernel versions (even on 3.0.x which I had for about 3 weeks
before going to something > 3.2. When I powered up my machine today
(after being off all night) X bombed with no screens found. I restarted
xdm and it worked... I'm thinking if the PSU is off maybe it's taking a
while to warm up to be reliable - my video card uses one of those 6 port
extra power plugs. I'll bet after being on for a few minutes it was
fine. I hate diagnosing weird & intermittent hardware problems. The PSU
in here is way too much for what I've got in here anyway. Come to think
of it, I think I have a spare in my closet, although I can't remember
the wattage.

>> (which is normally done for you) *and* in /sys/devices. No biggie, I
>> wrote a script to do just that at
> neither that. In fact, I have done nothing. It just works, with fglrx.
>
> uname -a
> Linux energy 3.4.10 #1 SMP Sun Sep 9 23:01:01 CEST 2012 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm)
> II X4 955 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
>
> and 3.2 before that
>
> and 3.0 before that.

It worked with 3.0.x for a couple of weeks, all hell broke loose after I
upgraded to 3.3.8 (I think.) I've also tried 3.4.5 and 3.4.9, nothing
works. Sigh...

I'd better figure out a way to rule out the PSU. It's possible the
emerge world that I did at the same time I upgraded to 3.3.8 stressed
the PSU.

Dan