120915 Mick wrote:
> On Saturday 15 Sep 2012 01:27:04 Philip Webb wrote:
>> (1) In Fluxbox, Gkrellm insists on starting on Desktop 1 ;
>> on my existing machine with the same config files, it starts on Desktop 8 .
>> There must be some setting somewhere which has got changed.
> Perhaps something like:
>
>   [app] (name=gkrellm)
>     [Workspace]   {0}
>   [end]
>
> instead of:
>
>     [Workspace]   {7}
>
> in your ~/.fluxbox/apps file ?
> Or may be you have a [Jump] {yes} command in there too ?
> Not sure if something similar in ~/.fluxbox/startup could cause this,
> so have a look in there just in case.

Yes, I looked in those places, but there doesn't seem anything odd:

  [app] (name=gkrellm) (class=Gkrellm)
    [Workspace] {7}
    [Position]  (UPPERLEFT)     {0 0}
    [Close]     {yes}
  [end]

However, I have a custom 'apps-pp' file too,
which mb getting defined in the new machine's 'init' file.
I've made a note to check tomorrow.

>> (2) Luxi Mono is not coming out cleanly in Gvim or (Xfce) Terminal :
>> IIRC there's a pkg or a setting somewhere to fix it,
>> but I can't find it in my extensive notes from the past.

I've found the note buried in my notes from the 2007 installation :
it needs a file  /dev/fonts/local.conf  with various settings, esp

  <match target="font">
      <test name="family">
        <string>Luxi Mono</string>
      </test>
      <test name="pixelsize" compare="less">
        <double>24</double>
      </test>
      <edit name="hinting">
        <bool>false</bool>
      </edit>
    </match>

HTH anyone else who gets ugly fonts in a new box.

>> (3) I have  4  heat sensors in Gkrellm : 'k10temp' + 3 * 'it87'.
>> Can anyone suggest which bit of which device each is measuring ?
> I am guessing the k10temp is the core temperature of the CPU
> and the it87 the chip temperature sensors (3-off) from ACPI?

Well, I can guess equally well (smile). When compiling Firefox & LibreOffice,
the 'it87-3' reached  68 C  once, while the other  3  were lower ;
all  4  CPUs were working at  99 %  at the time.
IIRC the displayed temperatures are not very accurate: when not active,
 3  of the values were well below room temperature, which sb impossible.

I have the impression that the rate of CPU work is being controlled
in order to keep the temperature safely below the cut-off point
which I've set in BIOS, ie  70 C ; also, the variable fan is very impressive.
If so, it must be due to the combination of AMD + Gigabyte (mobo).

Thanks for the advice.  (1) must be fairly easy, when I find out why.
Any further info re (3) wb very welcome.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca