Am Sun, 16 Sep 2012 18:59:33 +0800
schrieb Andrew Lowe <a...@wht.com.au>:

> Hi all,

Hi,

>       I've got a media server that I'm in the process of installing Samba on.
> When I do:
>
> emerge -NuD --pretend samba
>
> I get a list of stuff that portage wants to install, including Python,
> V2.7.3, even though the machine already has V3.2.3 installed. I've also
> stripped down the USE variables to basically "server" and that's all and
> still for some reason portage wants to bring in Python - the older
> version, V2. I've even added a "-python" to packages.use and it still
> wants python, V2. I've had a look at the USE variables for the packages
> that follow Python in the emerge list and they either don't want python
> or already have "-python" set.
>
>       Having a play around with equery also didn't reveal anything. Does
> anyone have any ideas as to what's causing old Python to be brought in?
> I haven't posted the whole "emerge --info" stuff yet as hopefully
> someone has come across this problem before.

First of all: Python 2 and 3 are (partly) incompatible versions of the language.
They can be installed in parallel in different slots (the emerge output will
have contained "NS" at one point, for "New Slot"). So you are not so much
downgrading python as installing an older version in addition to the current
version. Although "older" and "newer" are misleading, since they have both been
under active development in parallel since Python 3 was released.

Second: you can use the "-t" (or "--tree") option of emerge to get a tree view
of the dependencies, so that you can see what exactly is pulling in
python-2.7.3. But it sounds like some dependency of samba has a hard dependency
on Python 2, so you probably cannot control it.

>       Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
>
>               Andrew

HTH
--